The Pair Eval system was developed at North Carolina State University to aid professors in the Computer Science program who employ pair programming or group work in their classes. The system provides a means for instructors and TAs to set up and manage pairs and groups with as little difficulty as possible. More importantly, the system allows students to provide peer evaluations of their partners' performances during group or paired assignments. This gives teachers insight into potential problems, such as an unfair workload or a slacking student, which may bear out further investigation. This system has been used for several years in the North Carolina State undergraduate software engineering class to identify groups experiencing difficulties in their social dynamics throughout the semester. This has allowed faculty and staff to successfully intervene and address problems as they arise, rather than at the end of the semester.
PairEval is Java Servlet application that uses a mySQL database backend. For details on the required programs needed to use the system, please see the Installation guide.
For questions or problems, contact Lucas Layman.
|PairEval binary distribution||paireval_2.2-b48_bin.zip|
These video tutorials are designed to walk through some of the basic functions of PairEval. The tutorials are available in two formats: Windows Media Video (.wmv) and Flash (embedded webpage). These videos may be distributed freely and are copyrighted by North Carolina State University.
To save the .wmv files to your computer, right-click on the link and select "Save As" (for most Windows browsers).
|Introduction and administrator setup||webpage||wmv|
|Creating a course instructor||webpage||wmv|
|Creating a course and course sections||webpage||wmv|
|Student registration for courses||webpage||wmv|
|Optional student surveys||webpage||wmv|
|Students setting partner preferences||webpage||wmv|
|Viewing and querying students as an instructor||webpage||wmv|
|Creating an assignment||webpage||wmv|
|Assigning partners/groups for an assignment||webpage||wmv|
|Students performing evaluations||webpage||wmv|
|Peer evaluation report||webpage||wmv|
|Resetting a user’s password with the administrator||webpage||wmv|
|Adding a TA to a course||webpage||wmv|
March 10, 2009 - Installation update (paireval_2.2_b48)
- Updated the student's Peer Evaluation page so students can input longer comments and make changes to their evaluations.
- Updated the instructor's Grouping page so students are listed in alphabetical order and instructors can select multiple students when creating a group.
- Updated the instructor's Peer Eval Report page so instructors can select multiple assignments to view.
- Added timestamping to all student surveys and evaluations.
April 5, 2007 - Installation update (paireval_2.2_b33)
- Added brief instructions for how to modify PairEval's look to the User Guide.
- Changed the link on the main index page to link to the standard http port instead of https.
January 8, 2007 - Installation update (paireval_2.2_b32)
- Added a missing file to the distribution.
September 14, 2006 - Bug fix (paireval_2.2_b27)
- Fixed a bug that was causing a null pointer exception when trying to ungroup certain students.
August 31, 2006 - New functionality (paireval_2.2_b26)
- Added functionality to the grouping page that shows students'; Sensing-Intuition scores and work ethic scores. See our paper presented at the Agile 2006 Educator's Symposium for reasons why this is important.
- Revamped the install help file to be more concise.